UNIVERSITÉ LAVAL, Faculty of Business AdministrationBack to home Université Laval
Strength in Tradition
Established in 1924 by a religious congregation (Les Frères des écoles chrétiennes), Quebec's Superior School of Commerce was originally located in the old part of Quebec City until a decision was made to expand the school and move to the brand new university campus in Sainte-Foy. In 1952, the School of Commerce became a university faculty, and took up residence in the Palasis-Prince Building, named after Brother Palasis Prince, Professor Emeritus and founder of the school.
Brother Palasis Prince
A massive fundraising campaign organized in 1950 raised almost $1.5 million towards the construction of the Palasis-Prince Building. The Quebec government, under Maurice Duplessis, contributed a total of $1.5 million over a 15 year period for operating costs.
The Faculty of Commerce has changed its name twice since then, In 1965 it was renamed the Faculty of Administration and Commerce, and in 1967 it assumed the name by which it is known today, the Faculté des sciences de l'administration, or the Faculty of Business Administration.
In 1968, the Faculty introduced MBA and PhD programs, making Université Laval the only university in Quebec province to offer a complete PhD program in business administration.
On March 20, 1995, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International) accredited all degree programs of FSA ULaval.
A Necessary Expansion
By 1998, the Faculty had 4000 students and the Palasis-Prince Building was cramped and rundown. In 1998-9 a major expansion was undertaken to provide students and staff with high-tech computer tools in classrooms and study areas.
Last modification : November 20, 2012